* New bios
& pics on From
Our Classmates and Classmates
on the Web!
* Changes in
who's coming on Classmates!
SCRAPBOOK WEB PAGE:
To accommodate yesteryear photos submitted by classmates,
a new page, Scrapbook, has been created.
As photos are submitted, they'll first be posted on this page, then
as new photos come in, older photos will move to the Scrapbook page and continue to be available for viewing.
GETTING TO THE MOODY GARDENS HOTEL:
Be aware the Moody Gardens Hotel is nowhere
To get to the hotel from I-45:
1. Turn right on 61st St.
2. Turn right on Stewart Rd., which becomes Jones Dr.
3. Turn right on Hope Blvd., which dead-ends at the hotel.
of Galveston with hotel marked. (Leave your address
blank. Enter Hope Blvd., Galveston Texas in the destination windows.) Zoom
in and out with controls on left.
Click here, then scroll on down for the 10-day forecast.
* Gerald Lubin - California, possibly in Port Hueneme or Tujunga.
(Not on Lake Hollywood Dr. in LA)
Special thanks to Carl Nau, Hub Gootee, Bob Lauderdale, Ted Boone, Vic
Schulze, and Barry Wood for helping locate missing classmates.
SAT. NIGHT DINNER
If you haven't sent your registration ($25), dinner reservation ($50
ea) and bio material to UTMB, please do so ASAP. Send to Julie Quiroga,
UTMB Alumni Association, 301 University Boulevard, Galveston, TX 77555-1320.
Transmit bio/photo via snail-mail or e-mail to email@example.com. Call her
at (888) 862-7111.
The latest update (March) from Shag X and Cone Johnson,
All surviving class members - and
NEW stories by and photos of our classmates in their own
(Note: The forms you sent UTMB are for publication in a booklet the
school is producing. Please send separate text and photos to Cone at firstname.lastname@example.org
for posting on this site.)
Folks with their own, independent pages on the Web!
Our brothers and sisters we'll remember. Includes date of
death and last residence.
A special thanks to Bobby Temple and Vic Schulze for corrections
and additions to this page.
Links to maps of Galveston, sites
about Galveston, alternative lodging, and the UTMB site, including 1950s
A printable verison of this entire web site created especially
for folks who access the Web infrequently through friends or relatives.
Phone, fax, snail-mail and e-mail contact info. Now also
includes instructions for submitting digital pictures.
John Y. Harper accepts congratulations
from Chauncey D. Leake, Executive Director, Medical Branch at "Graduating
Exercises." The event was held in the Auditorium on the Pier, Boulevard
at 25th St., at 8:15 p.m., Friday, June 4, 1954.
In his letter accompanying this photo, John noted,
"Even though I never got around to having my picture made for the yearbook,
I did manage to get my act together enough to show up for graduation!"
Al Shields, left, and Will Steck do a little
quality control testing in 1954 at the Southern Select Brewery in Galveston.
Note: On Feb. 27, 1956, owner Edward Stenzel sold
the Southern Select brewery to Falstaff. Today, his nephew Ralph Stenzel
maintains a web
site that chronicles the brewery's history.
NEW REUNION ACTIVITIES
(Those in red are arranged by Cone, et al. and are not sponsored
/ PAYMENT FORM
OUR HOSPITALITY SUITE:
- Open Friday and Saturday all day, 9 a.m. 'till midnight. In the Moody
Gardens Hotel. Coffee, soft drinks, beer, wine and munchies provided by
CJ. A little nostalgia: Booze is BYOB - just like when we were in school!
*We may even get it together to open after Gaido's on Thursday night!
Suggested first major hang: Following the President's Luncheon on Friday.
(Donations welcome to help defray $1,000 room cost!)
FRIDAY 12 noon - President's
Luncheon - UTMB Event. Class of 1954
- Free, but reservations required. All schools included.
FRIDAY, 7 p.m. DINNER AT GAIDO'S - just our
- $30.00 per person. Must be pre-paid to Cone by March 22. Cash
Four ways to pay - print and send in reservation
1. Snail-mail: Send check OR credit card & expiration to:
Cone Johnson, 1506 Highland Park Road, Denton, Texas 76205.
2. Fax: Transmit credit card # & expiration to (940) 891-0690.
3. Phone: Call the credit card # & expiration to (940) 382-5962.
4. Online via Paypal. Use
e-mail address email@example.com (that's g-p-r-numeral one- @earthlink.net).
SAT., 11 am-4:30 pm LUNCH / STROLLIN' THE STRAND!
Strand is Galveston's impressive National
Historic Landmark District and was the
heart of Galveston in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Today, the area is
filled with fine, unique shops, art galleries, and museums chronicling
as as seaport. (map)
LOCATION: About 10 blocks from John Sealy
Hospital & UTMB.
- The district includes Mechanic Street, Water
Street, and The Strand. UTMB activities are on campus on Saturday, so this
is "on the way" to and from the school.
LUNCH and afternoon hang at BISTRO
LECROY, 2021 Strand (map).
- This will be the SOM 1954 headquarters on The Strand.
The restaurant features a reasonably priced Louisiana-style menu. No pre-set
cost; choose and pay your own lunch on your own schedule. Beer & wine.
Come and go as you wish. The men can visit while the ladies browse - or
- PARKING: In the parking lot directly across Strand from Bistro
LeCroy or in the lot directly behind Bistro LeCroy, at 21st and Mechanic.
- Or park at The Galvez or the Seawall and Ride
the Trolley to the Strand - it stops in front of Bistro LeCroy
and costs $1 - best bargain on the Island (map)!
THINGS TO DO IN THE STRAND:
All are within walking distance of Bistro LeCroy:
Attend "The Grand Wine Tasting," part of Food
and Vine Times celebration on the Strand. Wine tasting is at 2215 Strand.
Visit the restored 1877 iron barque Elissa
- Visit unique boutiques, art galleries, and antique shops.
- Take a leisurely ride in a horse-drawn carriage.
- Look up your ancestors in the Galveston
Tour the Texas Seaport Museum.
Visit the Galveston
County Historical Museum.
- View short (17-20 min) films at the Pier
21 Theater about the Storm of 1900 and about pirate Jean Lafitte, and
at the Seaport Museum about the
SATURDAY 6:30 p.m. Dinner at Moody Gardens
Hotel. UTMB Event (pre-pay).
- $50 per person. Send to UTMB SOM Alumni Association,
301 University Boulevard, Galveston, TX 77555-1320. (Remember to send in
the $25 registration, also!)
- Note: We have some some fabulous door prizes, including a week
on the Riviera Maya in Mexico, compliments of Bob Lauderdale, for the drawing
at this Saturday dinner!
SUNDAY 11:30 a.m. BRUNCH at
- Reservations required, but no pre-payment. $18.95 per person
(special price). We'll have a reserved area, so please let Cone
know at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can make it. To keep this simple
(mostly for CJ), everyone will pay his own check.
- Includes champagne, mimosas, pasta station, omelet & waffle station,
peel & eat shrimp; roast beef carving station; vegetables, soup selections,
cheeze blintzes, salmon, cheeses, cobblers, ice cream, cakes and pastries.
THOUGHTS ON WHEELS:
- * UTMB is providing no transportation to any events.
- * The Moody Gardens Hotel is in an isolated location, and wheels
are pretty much essential for getting around. Taxis are the only mode of
public transportation that serves the hotel.
* Hertz is the only rental agency on the island and is closed on
* If you're flying in, renting a car at the airport is highly recommended.
* If driving is not your strong suit and you're taking a limo to
the Island, we'll help work out car-pooling in the Hospitality Suite.